21 October, 2014

overcoming the selling barrier

*squints eyes, blows dust off*
wow. there is definitely a layer of time that has been caked on to this blog. let's get moving again, shall we?


first, an announcement: i will be casually selling my work at muse music's art blitz this saturday! from 2-6pm. so come hang out and maybe bring some money if you want some art for your wall. if not for mine, come for some other amazing artists' work! or just come hang out. no pressure.

#inktober day 22, anyone? forgive the poor quality &
sub-par typography. done on my phone = less patience :)

second, a conundrum:
i was messaging my incredibly talented artist friend mckenna about potentially selling her work at this event as well, and she responded,

I'm nervous about actually selling my work. Even though it's just student work I still have this weird attachment to it. Have you felt like that before? It's totally a great beginning to get people seeing your work so it's a toss up. What have you done to overcome that feeling?

and i thought about it. this was my response.

Honestly I was just wondering the same thing. How do I overcome that?

Well.

One thing that helps is to change my mindset from "this is mine" to "this is mine to give". I feel like God gave us talents not to keep to ourselves, but to share. 

It is SO cool to see others like my art enough to actually buy it and put it on their walls. And we as artists have a talent that not everyone has; we can create amazing, visually intriguing things.

So then it's all about the human interaction of the experience--the philosophy of sharing something super special to me with other people. Like sharing your favorite song, favorite food, or even your dearest thoughts about your beliefs. All of these require us to give something, but something greater always comes to take its place. Often they become more important to me after I deliberately share them with someone else. And I remind myself that as I give, it creates incentive to make more.

Still though, I definitely have pieces that I haven't sold because I'm not ready, or simply don't want to. Because I feel like some specific pieces will benefit me more than they'd benefit anyone else, but I can use them to inspire me to make things like them for others. 

so those are some thoughts, facebook chat style. definitely off the top of my head. definitely not comprehensive. but maybe a good seed. 

what are your thoughts? how do you part with something you've made? 

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Kristin! One thing I like to remember when putting my art out there is that I am not my art. The long road of the creative process is a life-long pursuit and paintings collect along the way. They are like little milestones. So as I keep making art, paintings come and go, flow in and out of my life, but it is the whole experience that I keep with me. One of the coolest feelings is when someone shares a moment with you along this journey by taking one of these pieces home with them. Its like having a friend you share an inside joke with or an incredible memory forever. Then you hop back on the horse and ride off into the next chapter of creation and do it all over again. So to the artist who has a hard time parting with their art I would say take the leap and just remember that you have thousands of paintings still in you and a long road to travel before you are done.

    ReplyDelete